Friday, June 22, 2007

Grandma Johnnie Would be So Proud!


My Grandma Johnnie, who passed away nine years ago, was a birder extraordinaire. Several times a week, if not once a day, during the summer, she would round up stragglers into the car and we would drive all over the farm and beyond looking at birds. It is a passion she has handed down to her daughters, granddaughters . . . and now her great-grandson.
For my birthday (43!) Pete and Thad got me a birdhouse and the birds--including my Grandma's favorite, the red cardinal--have FLOCKED to our backyard! It has been a joy!
Thad has really gotten into the birds and will go outside and, standing under the tree, talk to the "birdies": "Thank you for coming to our yard, boidies! Come eat, boidies! We have more food for you!"
So it was clear he needed a pair of binoculars, which he has put to good use!

I delight in watching Thad watch the birds with me, and I grieve I cannot share this with Grandma Johnnie.

No comments: